Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fantasy Failure

Today was not the greatest when it comes to my fantasy baseball squad. Russell Martin, the catcher for the New York Yankees, was left sitting on my bench as he decided to go 5-5 with 6 RBI, 2 HR and 2 R scored. It was only one of the most epic performances of the season and my personal error made it as though it never happened. The way the league I'm in works is that the player is locked in to his slot when his game starts. Usually that's not a problem because Martin is always slotted in the Catcher's slot. The problem is that he had the day off yesterday so I moved Miguel Montero, the Arizona Diamondbacks' catcher, into that slot and Martin to the bench. Hideki Matsui, the Oakland Athletics' OF/DH, was then moved to the Utility slot. Then when today rolled around I hadn't been able to check on my team because I had a haircut at noon and then went out to get lunch. I had plainly forgotten about the team with other stuff on my mind. Then when I finally checked the team at around 1:40 I realized my fatal flaw. With so many players off today, I could easily have moved Matsui into an Outfield slot and Martin into either the Catcher or Utility slot. Sadly he was left on the bench unable to be moved. At this point I said to myself I hope he hits 3 homeruns to spite me. Funny thing is that he almost did just that. He hit a solo homer in the 2nd inning and a Grand Slam in the sixth. Then he one-hopped one off the wall in the 8th, just missing his 3rd homer of the game. Suffice to say, his 5-5 day made me regret not checking the team earlier, but the reality is that I'm destined for the playoffs anyway and the Yankees won which is the most important thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment